UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The Government of Egypt has received support from the Green Climate Fund (GCF) to advance the development of a National Adaptation Plan (NAP) with the goal of decreasing vulnerability to climate change. This NAP process will help Egypt build climate resilience by improving institutional and technical capacity for climate change adaptation (CCA) planning, examining climate risks, determining CCA priorities, integrating CCA into national and sectoral planning and budgeting, and increasing investment in adaptation actions.
This goal will be achieved via three interrelated outcomes, as follows:
1- Strengthening institutional and human capacities to coordinate and manage climate change adaptation planning and implementation
2- Developing an integrated national climate risk assessment and identifying adaptation priority areas for inclusion in a National Adaptation Plan Framework document; and
3- Integrating adaptation priorities into national planning and budgeting processes.
The project will be implemented by UNDP under the Direct Implementation Modality in full cooperation with Ministry of Environment. UNDP seeks to recruit a full time/part time Project Accountant/Administrator for the NAP Project. The Project Administrator/Accountant (PA) will be appointed by the project implementing partner and UNDP. Under the supervision of the Project Manager, the Project Accountant will be responsible for the day-to-day management of all financial, accounting, adminstraive, and procurement related issues in the project. UNDP Egypt is also jointly implementing the Support programme on scaling up climate ambition on land-use and agriculture through NDCS and NAPs (SCALA) with FAO that involves 12 countries worldwide, including Egypt. The Project Accountant will also be responsible for managing the UNDP SCALA funds
Duties and Responsibilities
1- Manage GCF NAP and SCALA Project budgets, including preparation of annual budgets, settling expenditures on the right budget code, ensure expenditure does not exceed allocated funds on specific budget lines, and notify the NAP GCF Project Manager and/or UNDP EFP for SCALA if there are any discrepancies or issues.
2- Review regularly annual budgets and available cash at UNDP, maintain updated project financial status, keep records of project funds and expenditures, and ensure all project-related financial documentation are well maintained and readily available when required by the Project Manager; or auditors
3- Manage project procurement process as per UNDP rules and regulations and keep records of assets
4- Provide administrative and logistical assistance support to all project operations including travel arrangements, office space, hotel bookings, workshops venues and meetings arrangements, procurement, etc.
5- Prepare all UNDP paperwork pertaining to payments to third parties and keep records of the documents
6- Review biannual financial reports to the GCF, project expenditures and ensure that project funds are used in compliance with the Project Document and UNDP financial rules and procedures.
The Project Management Unit (PMU) will consist of the Project Manager, Technical Officer, and Project Account Assistant, and will be working under the supervision of UNDP Country Office. The Project Accounting clerk will work under the direct supervision of the Project Manager.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open-minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 2: Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, involve others in change process Act with
- Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies:
- Accounting (General): Knowledge of accounting concepts, principles, frameworks, standards, regulations, policies and trends, and ability to apply this to strategic and/or practical situations
- Budget management: Ability to support budgetary aspects of work planning process, drawing and management of team budgets.
- Management and cost accounting: Ability to produce periodic qualitative and quantative performance reports to facilitate effective decision making and performance monitoring. Ability to use a range of costing techniques and analyse cost related data to provide quantative information to the users of reports.
Required Skills and Experience
A university degree in accounting/finance/business or a related subject
At least 1 year of demonstrable project/programme accounting/admin experience